Saturday, September 27, 2014

"Mommy, What Is a Blessing?"


Sunday, September 28, 2014

I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. Genesis 12:2 NRSV

My son asked me, “Mommy, what is a blessing?”

“You are a blessing,” I replied.  

Blessings in the Bible are accompanied by a lot of work and little reward, by a lot of responsibility and determination with sparse hope for the fruits of big dreams. When it comes to teaching children about blessings, work and responsibility must be a part of the definition.  

This promise of becoming a great nation comes with receiving blessings and giving blessings.  Giving of ourselves to another person, so that their burdens are easier, is the blessing we are asked to pass along.  We are blessed by the works of others as we are blessings to others through our works. How easily we forget this! 

My children are much happier when they work to make someone else happy. When I think of my blessings, all of them have come from making myself a blessing to another.

God, help us to intentionally think about blessing another and teaching each other to do so, especially children. Amen.

Rev. Dawna K. Watkins
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

Dawna is supply preacher, playwright, puppeteer, and  pastor’s spouse serving in the congregation of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Hematite, Missouri


No comments:

Post a Comment