Friday, September 19, 2014

God's Call to Care for Children

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Hate evil and love good, and establish justice in the gate; it may be that the Lord, the God of hosts, will be gracious to the remnant of Joseph. Amos 5:15 NRSV

This scripture reminds me of a Sunday about three years ago after the Chardon High School Shooting. The children and I made cards to send to the families of the victims. I suggested making cards for the shooter. “He's just a kid who made a bad choice,” I said to the children.

None of the children agreed with me and no cards were sent to him. 

Several months later during the news coverage of the trial, I reflected on that day. My kids perceived evil. Being called to care for children means listening to their perceptions and thoughts. Bad choices or not, it is God who gives second chances; it is God from whom grace flows.

Heavenly Father, I come to you knowing I will make mistakes. Open my heart to knowing and remembering it's not about the mistakes or choices but the heart that is connected to you. Amen.

Michelle Brown
Children's Minister
Franklin Circle Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Cleveland, Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment